Business Trends

How to Change From a Corporation to an LLC

All states permit the creation of an LLCs, which may only require one owner. Change from a corporation to an LLC requires carefully drafting a conversion plan for purchasing the ownership interests of all other shareholders. After obtaining approval of the conversion plan, you must file a certificate of conversion and inform the IRS of the change in status of your company.

Change from a corporation to an LLC

Step 1

Create a conversion plan. Indicate the new LLC’s name and the state where the LLC will be organized. Include a copy of the LLC’s proposed Articles of Organization. The most important aspect of the Change from a corporation to an LLC is providing a method for acquiring the ownership interest of any other stockholders of the corporation.

Step 2

Obtain approval of the Change from a corporation to an LLC. If your corporation has rules in its articles of incorporation or bylaws, follow those rules for conducting a vote among shareholders. If there is no applicable rule, state statutes generally require approval by a majority of all classes of shareholders to approve the conversion plan.

Step 3

Fill out the certificate of Change from a corporation to an LLC. Most state business entity registration agencies provide a form to fill out in order to convert a business entity. While the information required to fill out a form varies by state, you will generally need to provide the name of both your old corporation and the new LLC, disclose the percentage by which each class of shareholder approved the conversion plan, and possibly also provide the name and address of the registered agent of both your old corporation and new LLC.

Step 4

File the certificate of conversion. The filing fee varies by state, but can range from $50 to $200.

Step 5

File the articles of organization. The filing fee varies by state, but may range from $50 to $350.

Step 6

File Form 8832 with the IRS (see Resources).  After the change from a corporation to an LLC As an LLC, you may elect to be taxed by the federal government as either a corporation or a sole proprietorship. If you elect to be taxed as a sole proprietorship, your LLC will be “disregarded” and any profits and losses incurred by your LLC will be directly reported on your tax return.

By Gustavo Viera

Gustavo A Viera, CPA, is the managing partner in Gustavo A Viera, PA, CPA. His experience spans more than 25 years. His public accounting experience includes a senior audit manager at PriceWaterHouseCoopers with a focus in the healthcare industry, and Chief Financial Officer of Hewlett Packard Latin America and Telefonica of Spain. Gus also writes a blog twice a week that addresses issues his clients have at He has also taught in the SBA program in Miami FL, and is admitted to practice in the State of Florida licensed Certified Public Accountant. Gus welcomes questions and he can be reached at Gustavo A Viera, PA, CPA, One Alhambra Plaza Floor PH Coral Gables FL 33134 (786) 250-4450.