Federal Contractor

How to Register as a Federal Contractor

Step 1: Obtain a D-U-N-S Number, before you can bid on government proposals, you'll need to obtain a couple of registrations and register as a Federal Contractor. First, you will first need to obtain a Dun & Bradstreet D-U-N-S Number, a unique nine-digit identification number for each physical location of your business. D-U-N-S Number assignment is free for all businesses required to register with the federal government for contracts or grants. Visit the D-U-N-S Request Service to register.

Step 2: Register Your Business as a Federal Contractor

Secondly, you’ll need to register with the federal government’s Federal Contractor Central Contractor Registration (CCR), the primary database of vendors doing business with the federal government. Federal acquisitions regulations require all prospective Federal Contractor vendors to be registered in CCR prior to the award of a contract; basic agreement, basic ordering agreement, or blanket purchase agreement. Next, you’ll need to fill out the

Online Representations and Certifications Application (ORCA), in which you provide additional information about your company and its business activities. The Federal Acquisitions Regulations, Section 52.212-3,

Offeror Representations and Certifications – Commercial Items, explains the information that you’ll be asked on ORCA.

Step 3: Obtain Past Performance Evaluations

Businesses interested in getting on a GSA schedule contract, should obtain an Open Ratings, Inc. Past Performance Evaluation. Open Ratings, a Dun & Bradstreet Company, conducts an independent audit of

customer references and calculates a rating based upon a statistical analysis of various performance data and survey responses. While some Schedule solicitations do contain the form to request an Open Ratings

Past Performance Evaluation, vendors may submit an online request directly to Open Ratings.